At a time when the world focuses all its energy towards staying fit and protected from the novel COVID-19 virus, foods that naturally strengthen the immune system become the need of the hour. Soups are the perfect immunity-boosting foods that you can add to your daily diet. In that effect, we have the perfect recipe of celery soup for you, which is thick, creamy and oh-so-comforting. Not only is celery an excellent source of vitamin, dietary fiber, minerals, and antioxidants, but it also has just 14 calories per stalk, making it one of the healthiest ingredients to add to your food. Additionally, this recipe is vegan, which means it is quite nourishing and wholesome.
How to Make Celery Soup?
You will be amazed to see what a few humble stalks of celery can do. The ingredients to make this delicious soup are minimal and easy to acquire. All you need are celery stalks, leek or onions, potato, garlic, parsley, fresh dill, red chili pepper flakes, olive oil, vegetable broth, and salt. To get the rich and creamy texture of the soup, people usually tend to add cream or milk, but we will be using pureed potatoes instead to bring in the vegan element. You can also use vegan butter if you want to. For the uninitiated, store-bought vegan butter is typically a blend of refined coconut oil, canola oil, and sometimes avocado oil. Now, without wasting another minute let us look at the detailed recipe to make celery soup below.
Creamy Vegan Celery Soup Recipe
- 5-6 cups of thinly sliced celery stalks with leaves
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill chopped
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup of parsley chopped
- 1 medium onion or leek diced
- 1 lb potatoes diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make celery soup, take a pan and heat the vegan butter/oil/water. To it add the celery stalks, potatoes, onion/leek, and a pinch of salt (as per your taste). Saute them well till you see them turn golden brown. This should ideally take you not more than 10 minutes or so. Keep stirring the vegetables so as to ensure they don't burn easily.
- Once done, add the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and give it a gentle boil for almost 10 minutes. Ensure that the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Once the vegetables are properly cooked, remove the pan from the heat and add the dill and parsley to it. Stir it properly on low heat. The herbs will enhance the flavor of the soup. Please note that you can have the soup at this stage as well. Some people like to have their soup chunky and not smooth.
- If not then use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables into a soup. Once done, transfer the soup to a blender and further blend it to get a creamier consistency.
- Pour the soup in a bowl and garnish it with celery or parsley leaves. Serve the soup warm with some vegan cream or croutons. Many like to have garlic bread with it. Suit yourself.
- If there are leftovers, you can store them in airtight containers and refrigerate them for 5-6 days. You can store it for as long as 2 months if you place it in freezer-safe containers.
- You can make vegan cream using cashews and put a dollop of it in the soup before serving. If you want to add a kick of heat to your soup, you can roast and crush black mustard seeds and add to your soup.
- To add an extra dose of protein to your soup, you can add a tablespoon of hemp seed to it as well.
- To ensure your soup is not too stringy, see to it that you properly peel the celery stalks with a vegetable peeler and remove the strings. To reduce the stringiness, make sure that you cut thin slices of the celery, almost 1/4th inch. This will ensure your soup has a silky and smooth texture and consistency.
Do you have your own celery soup recipe, which is perhaps not vegan but equally healthy and delicious? Share it with us. If you have tried our recipe, do not forget to share your experience with us. While we cannot taste it, we would love to hear how it went! So, leave a comment in the section below. Also, do share more soup recipes with us here.