Afternoon tea parties are so amazing. They are all about dainty sandwiches, beautiful teacups, scones, jams, and sponge cake! And when it comes to sandwiches, nothing beats a cucumber sandwich on a bright sunny day! It is a perfect way to say hello to summer. It is everyone’s favorite and incredibly easy to make. All you need is a little detailing and an array of tasty sandwiches is ready.
Tips to Make the Perfect Cucumber Sandwiches
A cucumber sandwich is an easy affair. However, small things like bitter cucumber, hard bread, or solid butter can take away its charm and make your sandwich unpleasant. To avoid that, let’s look at some of the important tips to keep in mind.
Soft bread: Nothing complements the crunchy cucumber slices like soft bread. The tradition includes white bread but you can pick whole grain or gluten-free varieties as long as they are fluffy. A loaf of home-baked bread is a great option as well. You can also get creative and go for brioche. We’re sure the sandwiches will taste extra sweet and buttery with it!
Cucumber: Choose English cucumber as it has fewer seeds and thinner skin. Also, it tends to be sweeter than other cucumbers. Do make sure you taste the cucumber from both the edges before using it. You don’t want to use bitter or sour cucumbers.
Butter: Bring the butter to room temperature before you start making the sandwich. Softened butter spreads easily on the bread. Also, apply it evenly as it creates a layer and keeps the bread from getting soggy.
Teas: You can pair these finger sandwiches with many different teas. If you are a black tea lover, go for Earl Grey tea or Darjeeling. In a mood to have something fancy? Go for milk tea, iced tea, or sencha tea.
Picnics/parties: If you want to make the sandwiches ahead of time and keep for occasions like parties and picnics, cover them with wax paper and a damp towel and then store them in an airtight container. This will keep them fresh and prevent the bread from drying out.
On that note, let’s see how to make these sandwiches before you start feeling hungry.
How to Make Cucumber Sandwich?
To make cucumber sandwiches, all you need is a couple of minutes. They are a wisplike refreshment that you can have any time in between meals!
Simple Cucumber Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices bread white
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted and softened
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the cucumber. Now, cut it into wafer-thin slices.
- Once done, apply butter on all the bread slices.
- Now, layer the cucumber slices on the bread in a way that they cover the bread. You can toss some lemon juice if you like.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the cucumber slices. Cover with the remaining buttered slices to make a sandwich and cut it diagonally.
- Your afternoon tea sandwich is ready!
- Fresh cucumber sandwiches taste amazing. If possible, make the sandwiches right before you want to eat them.
- Although the original recipe involves discarding the edges of the bread, you can keep them if you like.
- You can choose different types of bread if you do not prefer white bread.
- Sprinkle herbs like dill and mint on the cucumber slices to try something new.
Ways to Customize Cucumber Sandwiches
A simple cucumber tea sandwich is great, but what if you have a party or a luncheon and you want to lift it up a little? Here’s what you can do to make your sandwiches a perfect affair to remember.
Cucumber mint tea sandwich: Use cream cheese on one side of the sandwich instead of butter. Add a layer of fresh mint leaves on the cucumber slices and close it.
Cucumber and crème fraîche open sandwich: You may have guessed it but still, we’re combining both the English and French here. Apply a generous layer of crème fraîche or fresh cream on the bread and top it with cucumber slices, dill leaves, and salt and pepper.
Chutney cucumber sandwich: To make it the Indian way, ditch the butter and spread chutney on any one slice of bread. The earthiness of cilantro will give your sandwich a piquant flavor.
Do you have your own sandwich recipe? Share it with us here. If you have tried our recipe, share your experience. While we cannot taste it, we would love to hear how it went! So, do leave a comment.