If pumpkin pie is known to be a Thanksgiving favorite, here is a year-round friend and holiday favorite, pecan pie. This American is known to have originated sometime in the late 19th century when Harper Bazaar first published a recipe of pecan pie. However even before the first pie came, have long been in use, with archaeological evidence found in Texas suggesting its presence for the last 8000 years.
This candy-like pie isand gooey and has an almost caramel-like flavor. What makes it even more interesting is the nutty and buttery taste of the pecans which form the inner layer of this pie. So are you ready to make your own pecan pie at home?
Pecan Pie Recipe
Also known as sugar pie, there are many variations of this recipe. In this article, we talk about the classic pecan pie recipe, which requires corn syrup, eggs, , butter, pecans, and vanilla extract. You can also use brown sugar or even bourbon or whiskey if you’re comfortable with them for additional flavor.
Easy & Classic Pecan Pie
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
- Your first step to making a pecan pie is to whip the all-purpose flour and salt in a bowl. Once you have whipped it properly, add vegetable shortening and salted butter to it. It is suggested you use a dough cutter to allow the butter to make its way into the flour - the end result should give the mixture a breadcrumb-like appearance.
- Now, you add one egg along with five tablespoons of water and one tablespoon of white vinegar to it. Mix well and then divide the dough into two equal halves - keep one for now and one for later.
- To make the crust, spread out the dough on a floured surface. You can use a rolling pin for this - use gentle force on the dough, starting from the center and then working your way out, equally, in all directions. It should ideally be 12 inches in diameter for a serving size of 12 people, but you can increase or decrease this as per your requirement. Now spread out the dough in a pie pan and tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it doesn't leave any pockets. You can fold the overhanging edges neatly for a nice thick rim around your pie.
- For the filling, take granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt, butter, and eggs and mix them well in a bowl.
- After you are done preparing the mix, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Next, you pour the pecans in the unbaked pie shell. On top of it, pour the sugar syrup mixture. You can cover the top and crust, very lightly, with a foil.
- Now, you keep your pie in the preheated oven and let it bake for 30 minutes. After which remove the foil and bake it for another 20 minutes. Make sure you don't burn the crust or the pecans or that your pie doesn't jiggle too much (it will jiggle a little). If you notice that your pie is jiggling a lot, then it needs to be baked for another 15 to 20 minutes, until it sets.
- Allow it to cool before you serve. This may take from a few hours to overnight. Once it is ready to serve, just sit back and enjoy it!
Connect With Us
If you have tried this recipe, we would love your feedback in the comments section below. And while we can’t taste it, we would love to see how it turned out! You can connect with us on Facebook or Instagram and tag your picture with #organicfactsrecipes.
Do you wish to share your winning click here and fill in the details to get started.with us? Please