Finding a herbs can deliver a similar flavor to your dish.substitute for your is easier than you might expect, as plenty of other
What is Tarragon?
Tarragon is a chicken, and . Some seek out tarragon substitutes because of the flavor of this spice, which is similar to or licorice. This is due to the estragole found in this herb. Fortunately, if you don’t like the taste, there are plenty of other earthy that can replace tarragon.that grows throughout Europe and North America, and it has been used in culinary and applications for centuries. It is particularly popular in cooking and is commonly used to season
Substitutes for Fresh Tarragon
- Basil Leaves: The aromatic and earthy quality of these leaves can be an effective replacement for fresh tarragon.
- Fennel Seeds: Possessing the same active ingredients, can very closely mimic tarragon, but it is far more potent, so only use a few of crushed seeds to have an effect in your dish.
- Chervil: This leafy herb is popular in and , but use this herb , at about a 1:2 ratio with tarragon.
- Fennel Fronds: Similar to the seeds of this herb, fennel fronds deliver that black flavor that some people crave from tarragon. This makes fennel fronds a great tarragon substitute.
Substitutes for Dried Tarragon
- Marjoram: This common can be substituted in equal amounts of tarragon, particularly in savory dishes or .
- Rosemary: Another popular herb for flavoring and fish , can cover up for any lack of tarragon.
- Dill: The powerful flavor of may change the overall recipe effect, but it is an excellent replacement if you don’t have or don’t want to use tarragon.
- Oregano: The flavor of this herb makes it an ideal match for fennel, although the resulting won’t have the same bite.
Substitutes for Flavor
When it comes to flavor, tarragon does possess a distinct taste that can be difficult to duplicate, and some people want to avoid it. To eliminate that unwanted flavor, but still provide an interesting flavor profile to your dish, simply use equal amounts of dill, basil or marjoram in your meal.