Garlic powder is an excellent spice that should be kept on any spice rack. It can be an excellent replacement for fresh garlic. If you have ever cooked with garlic, then you know it is one of the most powerful flavors you can add to a dish, and garlic powder is much the same. It delivers a number of important , which provide various health benefits.
What is Garlic Powder?
Garlic powder is the ground form of benefits over fresh garlic. This powder is quite easy to make, and you will find it as a seasoning in various dishes like soups, stews, pizzas, salad dressings, and in sauces like barbecue sauce.garlic and it has a number of
Garlic powder can be a more subtle way of imbuing an entire dish with the flavor of garlic, rather than simply adding chopped or minced cloves. The versatility and delicious flavor of this powder make it a favorite spice around the world.
What’s more? When you dehydrate garlic, you extend its shelf life exponentially, so it can be stored for months or even years without losing its potency. It also delivers many of the best benefits of garlic in terms of health. Using this spice regularly can give your cooking and your overall wellness a boost.
Garlic Powder Nutrition Facts
Garlic powder contains vitamin C vitamin B6, iron, calcium, protein, magnesium, sodium, and in the form of dietary fiber and sugar. While the concentration of these nutrients is less than that in fresh garlic cloves, there are still a number of and organic compounds like allicin that can benefit your health.
Garlic Powder Health Benefits
Balances Cholesterol Levels
Regular consumption of garlic powder can lower your LDL or bad levels and increase the HDL or good cholesterol levels. It also reduces plaque buildup in the arteries and blood vessels and helps lower , thus lowering your risk of diseases.
Boosts Immune System
Aids in Digestion
The organic compounds, iron, and dietary fiber in garlic powder are great for keeping your stomach healthy. If you are suffering from indigestion, constipation or any stomach disorder, it can help move your bowels smoothly and relieve the problems.
How to make Garlic Powder?
Making garlic powder at home is very simple. The only component in garlic powder is garlic itself, although many people add salt to the mixture, which is then called garlic salt.
2-3bulbs of fresh garlic
Salt, to taste
- Step 1: Peel and slice the garlic cloves thinly and place them on a plate.
- Step 2: Turn the oven to 175 degrees and heat the garlic cloves until they are completely dry.
- Step 3: Once they are completely dehydrated, grind them in a processor or with a mortar and pestle.
- Step 4: Strain the mixture so only the powder remains.
- Step 5: Store the powder in an airtight spice jar between uses.
Note: For garlic salt, add salt along with the dehydrated garlic cloves to the processor.
Side Effects of Garlic Powder
There are common side effects of consuming too much of this powder, which include:
- Bleeding Disorders: For people who consume an excessive amount of garlic powder, bleeding problems have been known to worsen, so always use this spice in moderation.
- Bad Breath: As with any garlic product, this powder has a powerful smell, which can lead to bad breath, although it can also help eliminate oral infections!
- Muscle Ache: When too much of this herb is ingested, or if you suffer from a mild allergy, it could cause muscle spasms or aches.
- Stomach Issues: Stomach aches, cramping, and bloating can happen if too much of this powder is consumed.
- Dizziness and Headache: Some people report symptoms of headaches and dizziness, as well as , sweating, fatigue, and nausea if they use too much of this spice at one time.