Types of Eggnog Recipe
Let us take a look at the various ways to prepare eggnog.
Nonalcoholic Eggnog Recipe
Alcoholic Eggnog Recipe
While the recipe for alcoholic eggnog remains just the same as the non-alcoholic variety, it simply has alcohol in it. Most commonly, either rum, brandy, cognac or bourbon is used for preparing alcoholic eggnog. The alcohol is added to the recipe after the mixture of milk and egg is prepared.
Dairy-free Eggnog Recipe
To prepare a dairy-free eggnog recipe, you can use many of the amazing alternatives that include the following:
You can just replace dairy milk with these alternatives and the rest of the recipe remains the same!
Vegan Eggnog Recipe
To prepare a vegan alternative to eggnog you can substitute dairy and eggs with the following:
- Use almond or cashew milk in place of dairy milk
- Use cashews in place of eggs
- Use dates in place of sugar
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
Preparing eggnog is not that monstrous of a task. It involves the mixing of certain ingredients, heating them, and then refrigerating the whole mix. We have discussed the detailed recipe below.
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, cloves, lemon zest, and
- Step 1: Add eggs, sugar, and a pinch of salt to a bowl.
- Step 2: Whisk the mixture properly.
- Step 3: Add milk and 3/4 of the cream to a and heat it till the liquid starts to steam.
- Step 4: Mix the egg batter with milk and cream.
- Step 5: Re-heat the milk-egg mixture on medium heat now and keep stirring it till the mixture is thick enough to stick to the spoon.
- Step 6: Add nutmeg and vanilla extract to the mix and let it cool. You can keep it in the for 3-4 days for optimum temperature and consistency levels.
- Step 7: Whip the remaining cream in a bowl and add it to the milk-egg mixture to give your eggnog a thick and creamy texture.
- Step 8: Sprinkle cloves, cinnamon, and lemon zest on top. Serve it cold!
As per your preferences, you can tweak the recipe here and there to make it vegan, dairy-free, alcoholic, or non-alcoholic.
Note: The FDA recommends heating – or pasteurizing – the mixture to 160 degrees to avoid any risk of.