The most powerful cancer, the , anemia, increase , and boost . They also prevent , improve blood , aid in skin care, prevent , build , and treat respiratory problems. These benefits of can be attributed to their richness in , vitamins, and minerals.benefits of include its ability to lower , prevent
What are Beets?
Beets or beetroots, as they are often called, belong to the Chenopodiaceae family. Beetroots are one of the varieties of the Beta vulgaris species. They are frequently added as an ingredient to pickles and are also used as a agent. Even though beets are available throughout the year and can be eaten every day, they are still considered seasonal vegetables., , and
Beet lovers think of the taste as earthy; however, there are several food item, beets are valuable as a source of , which makes them a viable replacement for tropical sugar . They are frequently used to make refined .who avoid the as they think beets taste like . Besides their use as an actual
The history of beetsto ancient times, and the earliest signs of their cultivation were approximately 4,000 years ago in the region. They have long been associated with sexuality and have been used as an for of years.
Beets are highly nutritious root vegetables that are a great source of manganese, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B-complex, copper, and potassium. Rich in , beets get their deep color from the betalain pigment, which has potent anti- properties. They are also abundant in phytochemical compounds such as , , / , , and . A great source of fiber, they are low in , , and ; 1 cup (136 g) of raw beetroot contains 59 calories. However, beets have the highest sugar content of all vegetables and are relatively high in .and such as ,
Health Benefits of Beets
The most popular health benefits of beets include the following:
Lower Blood Pressure
Beets are abundant in dietary published in the American Heart Association’s journal Hypertension showed that people with high blood pressure who 250 ml of beetroot daily recorded a significant drop in systolic blood pressure., which get converted into oxide in the . Nitric oxide helps and dilate blood vessels, thereby lowering blood pressure and preventing . Research
Promote Liver Detoxification
Betaines in beets stimulate the functions of the liver and keep it . Also, , a -soluble in these root vegetables, helps flush out from the liver. According to the American Liver , beets help heal liver . They are one of the superfoods that have the ability to reverse fatty liver.
Red beetroots have a significant amount of, which helps prevent and boosts the of red blood . Furthermore, vitamin C in beets aids in boosting iron absorption.
Studies have revealed that beets are good at preventing , , and colon cancer since they contain the pigment betacyanins, which counteracts cell . Nitrates used in meats as can stimulate the production of nitrosamine compounds in the body, which can also result in . Recent studies have shown that beet juice inhibits the cell caused by these compounds. Also, the natural beta- in beetroot helps to prevent lung cancer. Researchers in Hungary have also discovered that beet juice and its powdered form slows down .
Improve Heart Health
Betaine, present in beets, is a powerful bioactive compound that helps lower the levels of atherosclerosis, attacks, and . Betalains further help inhibit chronic inflammation when it comes to heart disease.in the body. High levels of homocysteine can cause problems such as
Beet fiber helps reduce cholesterol andby increasing the level of good HDL cholesterol. The fiber also to eliminate excess LDL cholesterol from the body quickly. Thus, consumption of beets helps prevent cardiovascular diseases in multiple ways.
Boost Endurance & Stamina
Research shows that consumption of nitrate-rich, whole beets improve running performance in healthy . In another study, researchers found that people who drank beet juice increased their uptake by up to 16%. This is actually more than a normal person can improve by, even when training extensively. Beet juice has shown to improve performance in , swimmers, and cyclists, making it an interesting sports drink that most people would never consider.
Increase Energy Levels
Beets contain a significant amount of carbohydrates that provide metabolism, and beets provide them without any of the negative side effects of many other carbohydrate-heavy . Optimal levels of carbohydrates ensure the functioning of all important reactions that keep the functioning efficiently.for prolonged . Carbohydrates are the natural building blocks of energy
Beets improves help increase oxygenation of the somatomotor cortex, a brain area that is often affected in the early stages of dementia. As people get older, blood flow to the brain decreases which leads to decreased , and beets can prevent this.neuroplasticity because of the nitrates present in it. These nitrates
Act as Aphrodisiac
Beets have been considered an aphrodisiac or boron, which has been shown to boost the production of sexual . This can lead to a boost in your libido, increased , improvement, and a reduction in frigidity in the . Your sexual life can get a and time-tested push in the right direction by adding beets to your diet.booster for . Part of this from the fact that beets contain significant levels of the mineral
Boost Blood Detoxification
Beets are an excellent blood as the betalain in beets helps promote a liver cleanse. The liver is the vital organ that the blood that comes through the tract before it flows to the rest of the body.
Reduce Birth Defects
Beets are good for source of B vitamin folate, which helps in the development of ’s column. of folate can lead to various birth defects such as neural tube defects.since they are a
Promote Weight Loss
Packed with nutrients and fiber, beets are an excellent addition to a Magnesium and in beets help to detoxify the body and flush out excess water, preventing bloating. This helps optimize and helps in losing excess weight. Beet juice is often prescribed in as it helps cleanse the liver and blood, which in turn helps lose weight.-loss diet.
Prevent Respiratory Problems
Beetroot is a source of vitamin C that helps prevent asthma . Besides defending against the effects of free radicals in the body, the vitamin also stimulates the activity of white blood cells, which are the body’s main line of defense against foreign bodies, as well as viral, , , and protozoan toxins that can result in a multitude of and illnesses.
Beets are extremely nutrient dense which helps boost immunity levels in the body and it is known to fight fever and . Vitamin C, vitamin B-complex, and powerful antioxidants in these vegetables help prevent , soothe minor aches and , and reduce inflammation
Reduce Macular Degeneration
The beta-carotene present in beetroot aids in reducing or slowing macular degeneration in the associated with an increase in free radicals, which drastically affect the premature process of many people. Beta-carotene is a powerful form of vitamin A, which has antioxidant capabilities and defends the eyes against the damaging effects of free radicals.. Macular degeneration is often
The presence of beta-carotene, which is a form of , in beets helps prevent age-related called cataract.
The structure of , which are the smallest blood vessels in the body.and vitamin C in beets help support the
High Source of Fiber
Eating a diet rich in fiber-rich foods such as beets helps prevent chronic diseases. Beets contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. While soluble fiber helps lowers cholesterol, insoluble fiber helps in preventing constipation.
Potassium-rich beetroot helps lower theof stroke and other heart issues. Potassium is a , meaning that it relaxes the blood vessels and reduces blood pressure throughout the body. Therefore, intake of beets is recommended to improve heart health.
In the Middle Age, beetroots were used as a remedy for digestive digestive health at an optimal level.such as . The fiber and the antioxidants present in beets help in flushing out the body from toxic substances, keeping
Promote Bone Health
Minerals such as calcium within the body and reduces the loss of through the ., copper, and in beets help develop normally and boost bone metabolism. The root vegetables also contain potassium, which conserves
High in folate, beets help in the optimal functioning and repair of cells. This helps prevent premature aging. Abundant in antioxidants and vitamin C, beets are a natural way to ensure the glow on your skin!
How to Eat Beets?
Beets can be eaten in many ways but before consuming them, one needs to remove the thin skin. Here are some of the ways you can use beets in your daily diet:
- Salads and soups: Beets can be sliced, added to a salad, or they can also be simply eaten raw. Remove its thin skin, slice, and season the beet with salt, , and lemon juice, and a healthy snack is ready. Another way to eat beets is by using them to make soups, like the traditional Borscht.
- Roasted or steamed beets: You can them whole or sliced. You can also add them to your roasted root vegetable mix. The other way to beets is to them. Quarter the unpeeled beets and steam them for 15 minutes.
- Pickled beets: You can easily make vinegar, and they are also available in grocery stores. Pickled beets are low in fat and are a rich source of dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and minerals. beets at home by using
- Beet juice: You can easily make beet juice by putting them in a blender.
- Beet greens: The greens are used to make a side dish or in salads. These leaves are packed with important nutrients such as potassium, copper, magnesium, and vitamin A, K, and C. They also help lower your risk of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes and stroke.
- Desserts: Beets are used commonly in vegan chocolate as they pair well with and help give these plant-based a deeper flavor.
Beets, if taken in excess, can cause the following problems:
- Beeturia: They can cause your urine to turn pink. While this is not a health problem, it may also be an indication that you may be deficient in iron.
- Kidney stones: Beets contain , which when consumed in excess can cause and .
- Allergy: Some people develop , , , or even when they eat beets.
- Colored stools: Beets can cause the to appear pink or red in color due to its natural . This is harmless, but if it continues for a few days, you may want to avoid beets to stay safe.
- Low blood pressure: Due to its ability to lower blood pressure, people on blood pressure medications should exercise caution to avoid health .
- Blood sugar spike: Beets are high in sugar and also moderately high in the index list. An excess intake can cause a sudden in blood sugar levels.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women should avoid excessive consumption due to the high levels of nitrates in beets as they may be sensitive to it.
- Flatulence: Eating too many beets can cause indigestion, flatulence due to high fiber content. upset, loose stools, and
- Gout: Beets are high in oxalates which can build up gout. acid in the body, leading to