What is Mead?
Mead is made by fermenting honey with water and often adding other fruits or spices. It has been consumed all over the world for centuries. Flavors can vary wildly based on the fruit or flavors used, but a true one will be sweet and strong, with ABV ranging anywhere from 4% to 20%.
Modern variety of this cheese, or complement more fruit-heavy meads with spicy flavors.has been embraced by craft brewers, who now churn out a wide variety of flavors from very dry to sweet. Pair dry ones with
There are over 30 different styles of mead from around the world. Here is the list of most common types.
- Acerglyn: It is a sweet type made with honey and maple syrup
- Bilbernel: It is a variety made with either blueberry juice or
- Black: It is brewed with black currants
- Bochet: A version where the honey has been caramelized or burnt before brewing
- Braggot: A mead that is brewed with malt and sometimes hops
- Capsicumel: A type flavored with either mild or hot peppers
- Dandaghare: A drink produced in Nepal that is flavored with traditional spices
- Hydromel: A low-alcohol variety with a lighter taste
- Medica: A Slovakian style of this beverage
- Morat: A popular type brewed with mulberries
- Omphacomel: It is brewed with the juice of unripe grapes or apples
- Rhodomel: It is brewed with either rose petals, rose hips or rose attar
- Show Mead: A “plain” style, made only with honey, water, and sometimes a yeast additive
- Sima: A lemon-flavored variety from Finland
Mead has a rich supply of various substances, including minerals, protein, vitamins, antitoxic, and sugars that make it beneficial for the body. It is also one of the world’s oldest probiotic drinks, containing and yeast. Let us discuss the benefits:
- Boosts Immunity: Mead boosts the immune system against -resistant pathogens
- Fights Infections: Mead made with fresh honey, in particular, contains high levels of lactic acid bacteria, which comes from the stomach of the bees. This imbues the honey with powerful -fighting properties
- Detoxifies the body: It is an alcoholic brew full of made with dark honey. This makes it an ideal way to lower chronic inflammation and free radical activity when consumed in moderation. , especially mead
How to Make?
There are a few steps involved in the preparation of mead, these include the following:
- Step 1: To make mead, boil 1 ½ gallons of unchlorinated water.
- Step 2: Once boiled, take off the pan and immediately add 1 ½ gallons of honey.
- Step 3: Mix any flavors or fruit into the batch.
- Step 4: Add 3 gallons of unchlorinated water.
- Step 5: Once the temperature of the water has cooled to around 70 degrees, add the yeast.
- Step 6: Seal and let the mix ferment for at least a month.
Word of Caution: Excessive alcohol consumption can affect bone density and contribute to liver disease. Always check with aif you are on medication before mixing with alcohol.