There are some fruits that can transport you to a place and time. The juicy, sweet pineapple brings with it the whiff of tropics, beaches, and holidays. Pineapples are delicious, but the tough prickly skin also makes it intimidating for some people. But once you master the art of cutting a pineapple, the rewards are well worth it. We give you a handy guide on how to eat pineapple.
How to Eat Pineapple?
There are many ways you can eat pineapple. It is deliciously juicy when eaten fresh. It’s a popular fruit in any breakfast or dessert bar. But if you want something different, you can also try grilling or cooking it in different ways. If you find a pineapple too intimidating to handle, you can quite easily get canned pineapple. The canned fruit is in chunks or rings. These are in water, fresh pineapple juice, or sugar syrup. We would recommend that you pick canned pineapples that do not contain added sugar.
Although the canned fruit is easier to get and consume, we would highly recommend that you try the fresh fruit first. Fresh fruit has a higher nutritional content. The canning process can harm some nutrients, especially ascorbic acid in which pineapple is very rich. But, because pineapple is such a storehouse of vitamin C that even the canned product goes a long way in meeting our RDA. The fresh juicy fruit with its slightly fibrous texture is also more enjoyable. But first, you have to learn the right way of cutting the pineapple.
- Cut the top and bottom of the fruit.
- Stand it upright on a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife start cutting the skin with a bit of the outer flesh. Take care to see that you don’t cut away too much of the outer flesh.
- The fruit is juicy and sticky. So, take care as you cut it.
- Once the skin is removed, you will see the yellow flesh underneath. You will see that it is pockmarked with dark ‘eyes’. These are the tougher bases of the spike on the flesh. These are inedible and have to be removed.
- You can gouge out each individual eye. But this can get tedious. Try the diagonal method.
- You will notice that the eyes follow a diagonal line across the fruit. In the diagonal method, you start cutting a diagonal line taking out the eyes. Cut parallel diagonal lines, removing all the eyes in the process.
- You can cut the pineapple in rings or in chunks.
Eating Fresh Pineapple
Fresh pineapple fruit has a fibrous texture. However, it can leave a slight tingling sensation in the mouth. This is because of an enzyme in the fruit known as bromelain. While it can cause slight discomfort, it has many beneficial properties. It is used as a dietary supplement for pain relief after an injury or surgery. But it can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. A slight tingling sensation is normal. It usually goes away after you drink water. The sensation is usually higher in the core. You can cut out the core to minimize any discomfort.
There are different ways of serving the fruit:
- It is usually served in rings with the core cut out or in chunks. You can eat it with your hands. But the juices mean that it will get sticky and messy. Hence, it’s better to eat it with a fork.
- Sometimes pineapple is served as rings with the skin. Cut out the skin with a sharp knife before eating.
- You can also prepare the fruit by cooking it or adding it to a salad.
Pineapple can be eaten in many ways. You can also cook it in different ways. Since it is a juicy fruit, it is a popular addition in smoothies and juices. As a sweet fruit, it is often added in desserts like cakes and custards. You can try some of our recipes:
- Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- Pineapple Green Smoothie
- Pineapple Tea
- Pineapple Juice
- Delicious Pineapple Casserole Recipe
A popular recipe for the fresh fruit is grilled pineapple. It’s a popular side dish at barbeques because it can be grilled quickly. It’s a super easy dish to prepare that can be made in a matter of minutes. If you have a very sweet pineapple, you won’t even need any additional ingredients. Just grilling the fresh fruit would do the job. If you want it sweeter, we have a recipe with honey to sweeten it further.
Grilled Pineapple Recipe
- 8 pineapple rings cored
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or
- 1/4 cup honey
- cinnamon optional
- 1 tbsp oil/butter
- First, make the seasoning for the pineapple. Add the cinnamon to the brown sugar or the honey and give a mix.
- Drench the pineapple rings in this seasoning.
- Oil or butter your grill and heat it to a high.
- Grill the pineapple rings on each side for 2-3 minutes or till you see charred lines.
- Your grilled pineapple is ready!
- This works best on an outdoor grill. But it will work just as well on a grill pan. If you do not have access to either, you can try this in your oven, although you may not get the best grill patterns.
- You can serve it as a side dish with grilled pork or chicken.
- Grilled pineapple makes for an excellent dessert. Serve it with vanilla ice cream or caramel.
There are many ways to enjoy pineapple. Tell us about how you like to eat it. Share your favorite recipe in the comments below.