Stomach flu, or viral gastroenteritis, is more common than many people believe, and it can ruin your plans for the week! As nasty and as a stomach virus can be, you do not necessarily have to take commercial medication to treat it. Home remedies are just as effective against stomach viruses.
What Is Stomach Flu?
Stomach flu is a viral infection in the intestines and stomach. The symptoms include cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and, in some extreme cases, even fever. These symptoms can be triggered when the digestive tract is attacked by a virus such as an adenovirus, a rotavirus, or a norovirus, causing a series of .
Home Remedies For Stomach Flu
Peppermint has and anti- properties which makes it an ideal home remedy for stomach flu. Peppermint, when brewed as a tea, can eliminate the root cause of the stomach virus by killing the bacteria that causes the intestinal infection in the first place. Peppermint is also great if you are bloated or gassy, two common symptoms associated with the stomach virus. Here is what you will need to do in order to prepare this recipe:
- Step 1: Pour 1 cup of water into a saucepan and boil it.
- Step 2: Add about two teaspoons of fresh peppermint leaves to the boiled water.
- Step 3: Cover with a lid and allow the leaves to steep for about 15-20 minutes.
- Step 4: Strain the tea and enjoy!
In order to heal your digestive tract, it is advisable to drinkabout 4-5 times a day between meals.
is one of the most appreciated and effective natural treatments for many ailments. It is especially good against stomach viruses and flu because it acts as a digestive relaxant, calms intestinal spasms and offers immediate relief. If you are experiencing vomiting and diarrhea, chamomile will reduce the inflammation in your gut and relax your stomach. Here is the recipe:
- Step 1: Boil a cup of water in a saucepan.
- Step 2: You can add either a tablespoon of fresh chamomile or 2 dried chamomile flowers to the boiled water.
- Step 3: Steep it for 15 minutes. If you want a lighter tea, you can steep it for 5 minutes.
- Step 4: Strain and enjoy a calming cup of chamomile tea! You can add also one and a half teaspoon of either lemon juice or honey.
Make sure you have chamomile tea 3 times a day for 2-3 consecutive days, and your stomach virus should disappear.
Stomach viruses can leave you severely fiber, nutrients, and fats which help speed up the healing process. Chia seeds can sooth the lining of the stomach, reduce bloating, and provide relief from stomach cramps. As for the recipe, here is what you need to do:due to vomiting and diarrhea. The best way to hydrate your body is by drinking chia seeds water. Chia seeds are hydrophilic, which essentially means that they have an affinity for water. These tiny nutritious black seeds absorb water and become gelatinous. They provide your body with enough fluids,
- Step 1: Add a tablespoon of chia seeds to a glass of water.
- Step 2: Let the water absorb the chia seeds. This should take about ten minutes.
- Step 3: Add two tablespoons of lemon or lime juice to the chia seed water.
- Step 4: You can also add a teaspoon of stevia powder or honey.
- Step 5: Mix all the ingredients and have the chia seed detox drink!
Drink the chia seed drink 2 times a day to keep your body hydrated during stomach flu.
Turmeric is a versatile natural treatment that is very effective not only against stomach viruses but also all conditions related to the stomach. Turmeric has antibacterial properties that can eliminate any infections in the stomach, soothe inflammation and provide relief from bloating and indigestion. You can also use turmeric if you are experiencing vomiting or nausea. Turmeric can be consumed as turmeric water, turmeric milk, or it can be added to soups, vegetable dishes, and rice.
Recipe for Turmeric Milk
- Step 1: Warm a glass of milk.
- Step 2: Combine the milk with one-quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Step 3: Stir the mixture for a few minutes and drink it.
- Step 4: You can also brew the turmeric milk with ginger or cinnamon and add honey to taste.
This golden milk can be had after meals or as a beverage by itself.
- Step 1: Add two teaspoons of lemon juice to a glass of water.
- Step 2: Mix it and have the lemon water.
- Step 3: Alternatively, if you do not like the taste of lemon water, you can add lemon juice to any of your choice.
Try and limit lemon water to 2 glasses in a day to avoid acidity.
Stomach flu can take the wind out of your sails and it is best to avoid heavy, spicy meals to allow your digestive tract to heal. Simple meals, along with any of these home remedies, will help you rid of the stomach virus!