Celery salt is one of those secret ingredients that add a depth of flavor to dishes and cocktails and could well be one of the go-to spices in a master chef’s pantry. This humble seasoning adds the zing to a well-made Bloody Mary cocktail, gives the distinct flavor to Old Bay Seasoning used to flavor shrimp and crabs, and is speculated to be one of the key ingredients in KFC’s secret spice mix.
What is Celery Salt?
Celery salt is a seasoning mix of salt and ground seeds of either celery or its distant cousin, lovage. It is more likely to be lovage seeds, which have a celery-like peppery taste, with undertones of anise and parsley. Celery salt can be termed a seasoning salt and is popularly used in savory dishes. It is used to flavor coleslaw, stews, soups, salad dressings, and the famous Chicago-style hot dogs.
How To Make Celery Salt?
Store-bought celery salt is usually expensive and contains preservatives and anticaking agents like silicon dioxide or calcium silicate. If you want to avoid additives or just want to make your own seasoned salt, here is a simple recipe.
Make Your Own Celery Salt: Easy Recipe
- 3 tbsp celery seeds
- 5 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white rice uncooked
- To make celery salt, you will need a grinder. First, grind the celery seeds as finely as possible. It should be a fine powder.
- Now, add the salt and grind for 10-15 seconds to mix them well.
- Take an empty 4-oz spice bottle and add the uncooked rice first. This will help to remove the moisture from the spice mix and keep it from clumping.
- Add the spice powder, cover, and store in a dry, dark place.
Ways To Use Celery Salt
The seasoned salt mix can add a flavoring to anything from popcorn, french fries, cooked vegetables, as well as soups and stews. Let us look at the most popular ways to use this seasoned salt mix.
- Sprinkle on your pork roast. You can try our Tender And Juicy Pork Loin Roast Recipe.
- Liven up your everyday coleslaw with this mix – head over here for the Best Coleslaw Recipe.
- It adds a kick to creamy, cold salads like this Hearty Potato Salad Recipe.
- The seasoned salt goes particularly well with seafood. Try it on grilled fish or buttered shrimp and crabs.
- You can use it to rim glasses with tomato-based cocktails or add it to home-made tomato soups like Creamy, Homemade Tomato Basil Soup.
Is Celery Salt Bad For You?
If you are watching your salt intake, then you may want to avoid sprinkling it liberally on dishes. However, on the flip side, it is one of the best ways to help you cut down in salt as the ground celery seeds add a burst of salty flavor without actually needing plain salt. To completely avoid salt and still flavor your dishes with the zing of celery salt, you can use slightly roasted celery seeds instead. You can also try flavoring soups with celery leaves to get a slightly milder flavor of the spice mix.